Search This Blog

Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Year's Comfort Food - Beer Cheddar Soup

Hello again, friends, and Happy (almost) New Year!  2013 was a good year for the blog, and I really hope that you've enjoyed what I've offered you so far.  Of course, there could always be more, so my first big resolution for 2014 is to give you more simple and delicious recipes right here.  I guess we'll see how I do...

But let's concentrate on the here and now, and what sort of winter would be complete without your favorite comfort food?  I'll tell you what kind: no kind, wherefore I give you the ultimate in winter soul-warming awesomeness: beer-cheddar soup.  BOOM!

I like beer and I like cheese.  I like to enjoy them separately.  I like soup too.  So, what part of this is a bad idea?

So how do we do this?  Well, if you already know how to make a basic chowder, it's pretty easy.  And for those of you who don't already know how to make a basic chowder...it's pretty easy.

This recipe makes enough for 4 adults with plenty of leftovers besides.  Now while I don't include them in this post, you could serve this soup with some homemade butter and garlic croutons or fresh bread.  If you want to know how to make either of these, email me at fearnotyourkitchen@gmail.com

Here's what you need for the soup:
  • 1½ c. diced celery
  • 1½ c. diced carrot
  • 1½ c. diced onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ c. unsalted butter
  • ½ c. flour
  • 4c. chicken stock
  • 4 c.whole milk
  • 2 c. beer (Sam Adams Boston Lager or similar)
  • 1 generous tsp. of your favorite cayenne pepper hot sauce
  • ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 lbs. shredded extra sharp white cheddar cheese – about 6 c.
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
And here's what you do:

Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium heat.  Add onions, carrots, and celery and sweat until just soft, about 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 or 2 more minutes until fragrant.  Add the hot sauce, cayenne pepper, Dijon and dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce and stir well to combine.  Cook for about 2 minutes to allow flavors to blend.  Add the flour and combine thoroughly to make a roux.  Cook the roux for about 3-5 minutes to eliminate raw flour taste.  Add, in order, the chicken stock, milk, and finally the beer, stirring well after each addition.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.  When ready to serve, remove from heat and stir in the cheese.  Serve immediately.
Now, it should go without saying that you should enjoy this soup with a glass of the very same beer you use to cook it.  I like amber-ish beers like Sam Adams, but you can use anything you wish.  I might even be tempted to try Killian's Irish Red.  Try a few and see what your favorites are.  And one word of advice: resist the temptation to add more beer to the soup than what's indicated above or the it won't come together as well.  If you want more beer flavor, just have a beer when you eat it.  This soup does also have a nice cayenne warmth to it, and if you want it hotter, add more cayenne pepper rather than hot sauce.
Like I mentioned before, you're going to have leftovers (unless you either eat like a bird or are feeding a small battalion).  This soup reheats really well in a saucepan over medium heat.  I didn't try microwaving it, but give it a shot and give me some feedback if you'd like.

Well, friends, I hope you enjoy this final offering of 2013, ushering you comfortably into 2014 and a happy and prosperous new year.  All the best to you and yours.  Share me with your friends and family and let's make 2014 a year to bring more food lovers into the Fear Not Your Kitchen fold.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment